Posted by Editor on 20th April 2009 at 01:06 AM
Two in hospital after Broughton kitchen fire
A smoke alarm that failed to go off due to a flat battery has left two Broughton residents in hospital.
Firefighters were called to a third-floor flat on Kersley Way on Thursday evening at around 7pm to find the kitchen up in flames and full of smoke.
The cause of the fire, say GM Fire and Rescue, was a pan of food that was left unattended on an electrical cooker.
Two men were found in the flat suffering from the effects of the smoke. They had to be treated on the scene with emergency oxygen therapy and both later went to hospital.
GM Fire and Rescue asked us to include this fire safety message in this article:
Remember any type of pan can catch fire Ė this includes a wok, a grill or a frying pan. Many people think that because they donít have a chip pan then they donít have to worry about this kind of fire Ė this is wrong.
When deep frying, always dry the food before you put it in oil.
Never fill a pan more than one-third full of oil. If the oil starts to smoke, itís too hot so turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
Swap your chip pan for an electric deep fat fryer. We recommend that you donít use a chip pan at all as they can easily catch fire. An electric deep fat fryer that plugs into the wall is much safer to use as it wonít get too hot.
Home Fire Risk Assessment: In Greater Manchester we are committed to reducing fire deaths by ensuring that every home in the county has a working smoke alarm. To make certain this happens, firefighters now carry out free home fire safety checks and fit free smoke alarms.
Booking a FREE home fire risk assessment couldn't be simplier. Simply call 0800 555 815 or visit the national Fire Gateway website www.fire.gov.uk and fill in the online home visit request.
Due to problems with spam only SalfordOnline members can now leave comments. Becoming a member of SalfordOnline only takes a minute, just hit the red Join Us button at the top right hand side of the page to create your Personal account.
Got a news story? Need help with publicity for an event in Salford? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the SalfordOnline newsdesk on 0161 789 5377.