Posted by Tony Flynn on 24th July 2012 at 01:36 PM
Summer safety advice following burns incident
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) is issuing advice for using barbecues and burning rubbish following an incident in which a man suffered burns to his face and arms.
The 25-year-old had cleared an area of open scrub land near to his house in Hardman Close, Radcliffe, and was attempting to burn off the waste.
He was struggling to ignite the waste and decided to use petrol as an accelerant which caused an explosive reaction, engulfing the man in flames.
Firefighters from Whitefield Fire Station were called to the incident at 3.15pm on Monday, July 23.
Crews assisted paramedics to stabilise and treat the man at the scene before he was transferred to Wythenshawe Hospital by the North West Air Ambulance.
Whitefield Crew Manager Paul Brunt said firefighters were due to revisit the area this week to offer advice to the local community.
Stuart Morgan, GMFRS’ Petroleum and Explosives Manager, said: “Our message is simple, absolutely do not use petrol as a means of lighting rubbish or barbecues.
“Unfortunately it’s something that’s quite common – people automatically go for petrol because they may have it lying around but it is possibly the worst thing you can use.
“The vapour from petrol is lethal, especially in the dry, warm weather conditions we’ve been experiencing over the past couple of days.
“The safest thing to use is barbecue lighter fuel or fire starter blocks because they burn themselves.”
Councillor David Acton, Chair of the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “Barbecues are a pleasure many of us enjoy when the weather is hot, but they also pose many dangers.
“Never dispose of a barbeque when it is still hot. You can protect yourselves by concentrating on what you're doing, making sure your barbecue is in good working order, keeping a bucket of water nearby in case of emergencies and keeping children, garden games and pets well away from the cooking area.
“Never leave the barbecue unattended, never use petrol or paraffin to revive your barbecue, and never put ashes straight into a dustbin or wheelie bin.”
Due to problems with spam only SalfordOnline members can now leave comments. Becoming a member of SalfordOnline only takes a minute, just hit the red Join Us button at the top right hand side of the page to create your Personal account.
Got a news story? Need help with publicity for an event in Salford? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the SalfordOnline newsdesk on 0161 789 5377.